Welcome! My name is Fallon, and I am a gifted and talented ELA teacher and instructional designer. I am a huge proponent of gamification in education. I try to make my materials as engaging and creative as possible. I believe that a good teacher is like an artist, passionately in love with their work. I hope my resources and tips can save you valuable time and effort!

Thursday, February 7, 2019

How Having a Class Mascot Changed my Classroom

Hey Friends!




So I created this blog to share what works in my room with other educators, and one of the things that I believe makes my classroom special is having a class mascot. When I was a second-year teacher, my favorite animal, a sloth, became a major part of my classroom climate, theme, and even a class motto.  Was this an intentional move?  If I am honest with you, not really.  I mean if I look back at my own education, one of my favorite teachers had an obsession with Sponge Bob, and I still remember that detail about him and his class.  Whenever one of us would see something Sponge Bob related, we would bring it into the classroom and it would become part of our classroom.



So, I did like the idea of adding something memorable to my class, but again, this change was something my second group of kids actually helped bring about.  Like many of you, I begin a new school year by introducing myself to my kids.  Part of that introduction includes talking about sloths and how I believe they are a reminder to "stay positive" because they constantly have a smile on their faces.  My second group of 7th graders really took to this message.  I started receiving multiple pictures, drawings, and other sloth related gifts.  All of those things became part of our classroom.  Fast forward to our field day celebration, and the kids designed #slothsquad shirts for our class.  We all loved the idea of being a "sloth squad".

A super old photo of my second-year group, taken from my beginning of the year Prezi.

I am now in my 6th year of teaching and have more sloths than ever before.  I like to think that my classes and love of sloths have made them the new "it" animal.   Now at the beginning of the school year, I introduce the sloth and the idea of being a sloth squad to my kids from the very start.  I love how it adds to our culture and community.

On my last student feedback survey, I asked specific questions about our class mascot and how it made students feel.  I am excited to share that feedback with you!   Students responded to the question, "What are your thoughts about our class mascot? Does it make you feel included or like part of a team? #slothsquad".  Here are just a few of their responses:

"
 I like our mascot because it's kinda like a more peaceful vibe."
"
yes,having a sloth makes me think we don't have to stress about anything and can stay calm."
"
I think are class mascot is very unique. It does make me feel included."
"
I like the class mascot and I yes I do feel included."
"
i think that sloths are very interesting and i love having one as our mascot"
"
I like having a class mascot, it makes everyone who is in this class feel like one big team."
"
it make me feel like everyone is accepted"
"
Sloths are slow and I am too. Yes it makes me feel included."
I did not have one of my 139 survey takers rip on our mascot!  A few were indifferent, but the great majority love it and did mention feeling like part of a team.  YAY!  If having an animal around our room and mentioning the #slothsquad helps reinforce a positive classroom environment, I am totally sold forever! 

 I put together a list of animals that I feel would make great class mascots!


Owl
Unicorn
Dragon
Otter
Lion
Panda
Cat

Or whatever your favorite animal is!

I'd love to see your photos if you have a class mascot or add one to your room!  Tag me on Instagram @HowesintheMiddle!





No comments:

Post a Comment